Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, March 10, 2012

REVIEW: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen
by Lauren Kate
Pub:Dec. 8 2009 by Delacorte Press
Review Copy: e book (personal, Kobo Vox)



There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. 

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. 

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

....


I put off reading Fallen even though it’s been on my radar for a very long time. The back cover just sounded so dramatic and depressing and too much like other YA paranormal romances that I didn’t think I’d enjoy it.

Fallen was actually much better than I thought it would be. I know this series has been really popular, but you know sometimes you just decide that there is no way you’re going to like a book so you stubbornly refuse to try it? Well, I do that, a lot. So I was pleasantly surprised to find Fallen much more interesting than I had expected.

There is actually a whole story to Fallen connected to, but beyond just the love story between Luce and Daniel. I found myself very curious to find out what exactly was going on with these two, and even more importantly, who and what did the other students at Sword and Cross School have to do with all the strange goings on.  You can tell right away that the whole school has a lot more going on than first meets the eye. I’m still not sure that I fully understand what’s going on with all the characters, but I’m pretty sure I’m not supposed to
.
I don’t think the back cover really captured the story in Fallen. Daniel isn’t all that mean to Luce after the few chapters (he’s very mysterious, but I wouldn’t call him mean possibly distant or withdrawn is more accurate) and Luce spends most of her time trying to solve the mysteries she’s presented with, with the help of her new friend Penn. Yes, the majority of her mystery is Daniel, but that’s because she knows there is something there to be solved.

There is a prologue at the beginning that gives the reader a pretty big explanation as to what’s going on, told from Daniel’s point to view. This makes the reader more sympathetic towards Daniel since we actually know him before we know Luce. While there is still a great deal of mystery, I felt like I was less in the dark than Luce was. At least I knew a little about Daniel. Still, I found Fallen to be one of those stories where at times I was frustrated because I knew many of the characters knew more about what was going on than I did.

Besides Daniel, Luce also has the start of a romance with a boy named Cam, who definitely knows what’s going on. Cam seems to be legitimately interested in Luce, but he still gives off bad boy vibes right from the get go. I'm curious how he's going to play into the story later on.

Overall, I liked Fallen and I have book 2 Torment ready and waiting to start. Right now I’m on the fence as to if this is a series that I’ll get into or forget about. I need more time with these characters to decide how I feel about them and their story. Fallen was interesting and had some sweet romantic moments between Daniel and Luce, plus some really exciting action, especially towards the end of the book. But, because so much of the larger story still remains a mystery, I have more reading to do about Daniel and Luce to decide just how much I really care about these characters.


Happy Reading!

I'll be reviewing book 2 of the Fallen series later this month as part of my MARCHing through book 2. 

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I have not read Fallen yet for the exact same reason that you initially put it off. Now i think i want to give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...