Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, March 5, 2012

REVIEW: Fate, Flutter and Wisdom (My Blood Approves 2,3,4) by Amanda Hocking


I ended up reading these three books back to back to back and decided the best way to express my feelings was to review them all at once.


Fate by Amanda Hocking 

Alice Bonham thinks she's finally found a balance in her life between the supernatural and real life with her brother Milo. Jack - her sorta vampire boyfriend - keeps her at arm's length to keep her safe. As for his brother Peter... she's not sure where he's at, or what he wants with her. Worse still, she's not even sure what she wants with Peter. 

When tragedy happens, Alice finds herself struggling with a terrible choice. Her decision has consequences that reach farther than she'd ever imagined..

Flutter by Amanda Hocking

Being undead doesn't make life any easier for Alice Bonham. 


Her younger brother's love life is heating up, while hers is... more complicated. Mae is falling apart, her best friend Jane is addicted to vampire bites, and if Alice doesn't get her bloodlust under control, someone will end up dead. 


Alice volunteers for a rescue mission with Ezra. But going up against a pack of rabid vampires might be too much, even for him.


Wisdom by Amanda Hocking
 For her eighteenth birthday, Alice Bonham takes a vacation to Australia only to have her trip cut short by an unexpected murder. While Alice tries to understand what happened, she regrets some of the choices she's made, especially the more permanent ones.








...


I’ve had the hardest time trying to figure out how to review this series. I’ve decided that I’m really conflicted and torn as to what to say. 


These books were, for me, as they say, cracktastic. The whole love triangle between Alice, Jack and Peter is crazy addictive and I really invested in what these characters were feeling. While the rest of the plot is interesting and enjoyable, it’s the love story that kept me up all night reading.


I struggled with how to review these books. On the one hand, I really like this series and if Amanda Hocking does ever write a book 5 I will devour it too. On the other hand, I realised that I’m really mad at how the triangle played out and I’m mad at the characters for not doing what I wanted them to do (I consider it a huge compliment to the series that I care this much). I decided that I had some things to say to the characters of this series, but specifically I had lots I needed to say to Jack, the vampire Alice (the main character and POV of the series) is in love with.


**There are some spoilers to the series, nothing that would wreak your own reading of the series (in my opinion)**


My Letter to Jack:


Dear Jack,


You seem like a nice enough vampire guy. You’re fun, light hearted and honestly, when I break down all of your qualities I probably couldn’t name a more worthy leading man in a vampire romance. Alice had a horrible childhood and you make Alice feel happy and safe in a way nobody else ever has. 


I love your eighties style and your love of bright colors. I think the way you love your dog Matilda and the attention and time you give to her says so much about who you are. Alice says at one point that you are all goodness and kindness and that the only bad thing you’ve ever done is love her. I think this is true. You have lived and after-lived simply and honestly and I can see why everyone likes you so much. 


You and Alice have a beautiful and tragic love story. Forbidden to be in love because she is fated for Peter, despite his rejection and your love of Alice, you are the one who is supposed to stay away. You are the one who is being denied and cheated out of the possibility of love with a girl who is everything you want, who wants you too. It isn’t fair and it doesn’t seem right. You’re an easy going guy, but I can see how unfair this must have felt to you.


I know you tried to resist the draw you have to Alice. I know that you are too good a person to ever want to hurt someone as important to you as Peter has been. He made you and I understand that only the greatest love (the love you have for Alice) could ever tempt you to chose the less noble and selfish path you chose when you gave in and bit Alice. I know she wanted you to and she is responsible for everything that has happened as much as you are.  Alice is the most important person in your life and you know she loves you so much too. I know that Peter left, and with him gone, how could you not fall more in love with Alice every day?


I know things were difficult before you turned Milo, and after, having to deal with all the emotions and stress of helping Milo adjust to being a vampire, your relationship with Alice was pushed to a point where choices had to be made. You saved Milo for Alice, but after, having to be separated was hard on you and you wanted Alice more than anything you’ve ever wanted before. 


Jack, I know you love Alice more than anything or anyone else, ever. I get it. When you bit Alice, when you betrayed Peter and took what was his, I know you felt you had no choice. I know you think you had to do it because Alice loved you and it wasn’t fair for your lives to be decided by fate. Alice loves you for you. No magic or fate or anything. You love each other because you do.  Even Peter admits this. Did you know he told Alice that Alice looked at him (Peter) because she had to, like a magnet, but that she looks at you, Jack, because she wants to? That’s really one of the most beautiful things about you two together. You are fighting fate, because you love each despite what fate or blood has tried to dictate. If there was no Peter as part of this story, I would love this so much.


By the end of Wisdom, my appreciation for how special your love is has grown. I really understand how the two of you feel about each other.


Now, here’s the hard part, Jack. Regardless of everything I’ve just said, I think you suck.  I appreciate your attempt to fight fate, but you really really screwed things up here. You know how much Peter has lost and what Peter has gone through. He is broken and Alice was the one who could have fixed him. Alice loves you, yes, but she loves Peter too. You can all pretend her draw to Peter is only Fate, but even after you broke the bond between them they still love each other. Peter loves Alice so much he was willing to die so she can be happy with you.  Alice may not have the same blood bond to Peter now, but she is clearly still drawn to him. I know you’ve seen the looks they give each other across the room. She wasn’t bonded to him when she kissed him. Guilt stopped it from going further. Guilt over betraying you isn’t the same as stopping because she loves you Jack.  You know you are the villain in their love story Jack. This. Is. All . Your. Fault.


I don’t hate you jack. Like I told you, I love you.  But Jack, when you were hanging over the abyss, I REALLY wanted you to fall to your death. REALLY REALLY BADLY. When you didn’t I could have cried with frustration that you screwed things up. 


Everyone knows how sweet you are, but what about Peter? He didn’t kill Alice after you bit her. It didn’t even occur to him. Do you know he saved her life right after he found out, even knowing you’d bit her? And you? He didn’t kill you even after you broke their bond and nearly broke him completely. He’s forgiven you everything and stepped to the side to let Alice have her happiness with you.  


I just wish you could have plummeted to your death. Peter would have re-bonded with Alice and we’d all be happy (well not you, obviously, since you’d be dead, but since it’s all your fault I don’t care).


I’m sorry if I’ve been harsh with you, but from the first moment Peter and Alice were in the same room the chemistry between them was too strong to resist and I can’t forgive you for wreaking the love story I wanted to read about.


Next time you’re hanging over a deep abyss, please feel free to let go. 


Thank you.


Leave a comment on this post, then CLICK HERE to go to the rafflecopter draw for  MARCHing through book 2



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post! I was thinking about reading this series but never got started. From you post, it looks really good (and thanks, it wasn't spoilering that much!). I must read it now! Lovely letter, too

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...