Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

REVIEW: Of Blood and Bone by Courtney Cole


Of Blood and Bone (Minaldi Legacy #1)
by Courtney Cole
PUB: SEPT 16th 2012
by Lakehouse Press
REVIEW COPY: PDF provided by Kismit Book Tours for review and promotion


....
Luca Minaldi is powerful, rich and mesmerizing. But he is also a reclusive enigma. He lives in Malta, a fairytale-like place filled with sunshine and sea, beauty and secrets. And Luca’s darkest of secrets is the best kept of them all. 

Eva Talbot is spending the summer in Malta to finish up her doctoral dissertation. When she meets Luca, a mysterious and handsome shipping magnate, there is an instant attraction. He has a disturbing and beautiful energy that she has never felt before. But she senses the darkness that lives within him. 

Eva is hired to care for his mother, a woman who suffers from dementia, but it is Luca who Eva will eventually risk everything to save. She desperately wants to reach inside of him and fix what is broken, while at the same time, she knows that she is falling for him. Her life becomes a swirling chaos of darkness and romance, of secrets and mystery. And the question that emerges will become the most important answer of all. 

Can she save Luca from the darkness that plagues him without losing herself? 

The answer is a matter of life or death.
....

NOTE: Of Blood and Bone is an ADULT Romance, there is sex & adult situations. 

Of Blood and Bone was an interesting read. I’ll admit I was really into the mystery of what Luca was/what afflicted him. The pacing of the story keeps the question of what is going on with Luca in the fore of the story. I was really into the mystery and I’ll admit I had some suspicions but the answer wasn’t obvious. I was pleased with how the Minaldi curse was explained. I think Courtney Cole had a well thought out idea that was really engaging.

Luca was an interesting “hero” since he is accused by all, including his mother, of being a monster. I liked that the author took the step of actually showing us Luca behaving as a monster. It made me much more conflicted about how I felt about him. He really does do horrible things and while the reason(s) behind his actions are explained, it doesn’t take away the fact that he has done these things.

This is where my conflict with Eva comes into play. Luca is much more tormented by what he is than Eva. I felt like she brushed off his behaviour, even towards herself, much too easily. It really frustrated me to see her brushing off the seriousness of what happened. Luca was horrified, and I felt like Eva should have been too. I don’t think it would have lessened her feelings for Luca if she had acknowledged that he committed a violent act. I would have had more respect for her feelings for Luca if she had acknowledged his behaviour instead of Bella Swanning it all away as irrelevant to their love.

All in all, Of Blood and Bone was an engaging read. I had to know the mystery of Luca and the way the story unfolds, jumping point-of-view from Eva to Luca to The Beast kept that energy of the story up. The resolution was a nice balance of explanation and set up for the second book in the series. I’m very curious where this story is going to go. I had some issues with the book, but those are all super spoiler-y so I can’t say anything in detail (hence the vagaries in this review) but all in all the things I liked about Of Blood and Bone trump the things I didn’t like.

I recommend it if you’re looking for a paranormal romance with a hero and a heroine you’ll recognize but a nice mystery twist on the paranormal.


Click HERE for to see my earlier post. It includes a teaser from the book and more info about Courtney Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think! Please comment often and freely, just remember to be polite & respectful of others opinions. I always read comments and check out other blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...